Sunday

Twestival


For the last few weeks I’ve been trying to find some truly innovative and grassroots social media uses, that promote or benefit a charity in some way.  I’ve been looking for something that is actually benefiting others on a non-organizational scale, which regular online users have come up with themselves.  Of course there are numerous Facebook groups and causes that people join, which pledge to donate thousands of dollars to an arbitrary, faceless and often unidentifiable charity. However I can’t help but wonder if donations are actually ever made, or if the money ever lands in the correct hands.  Often times many of these Facebook groups that are formed in the name of aid, come off as a ploy to simply get as many people as possible to join a group; almost as a form of bragging rights. I was beginning to think that there really weren’t a lot of well thought out fund-raising ideas that utilized social networks well, until a friend ‘tweeted’ an interesting link to me.  I suppose I haven’t really been looking in the right places for great ideas, but this one is by far the most interesting and contemporary example of a social medium creating social change. Twestival, which was created solely by volunteers on Twitter, has brought together thousands of people from the online community, inviting them to support a clean water projects in Africa.  Over a short period of time, using only twitter, hundreds of strangers organized events in over 200 cities to get people to come together for an evening of fun and fundraising.  The idea was a success and has so far raised over $250,000 dollars.  I can’t comment on the logistics of each of the events, but the fact that this was a world wide function organized in a matter of days is remarkable. The website backs up its efforts with information about the water crisis in Africa and what the money will be used for.  Personally, I think it is amazing that a social medium where most of the people connecting do not even know each other in the ‘real world’, was utilized for something very real.  I hope that we will see more of this in the future both on Twitter and Facebook.  As always, I appreciate any feedback or comments, and would love to hear about any other innovative ideas and success stories! 

   

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Indeed it is incredible how the spread of information can still be used in positive ways. Charity Water has set goals, and is striving to achieve them, as water is extremely important, and good water should be accessible to everyone on the planet.

    Great job on the blog, very relevant information, and pressing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nonprofit Technology Network (www.nten.org) is an interesting group that relates to what you're talking about. Their goal is to help nonprofits use all aspects of technology more effectively.

    Their website says that "technology allows nonprofits to work with greater social impact." NTEN is a conduit of knowledge:
    - connecting members
    - providing professional development
    - spearheading research on technology issues affecting the entire community.

    Keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is an incredibly erudite, yet succinct commentary on the message many of us have been trying to relay for years now.

    Transparency is key and that is one thing Scott at CharityWater has understood from day one. There are some statistics I saw earlier today about different age groups and what motivates them to donate and organize group events in their areas...I'll try and find that, it was quite fascinating.

    The trick to true social networking is gaining Human Capital as Scott did on Twitter. Once people got to know him, people were able to trust him enough to give their time and money to his cause.

    A Portfolio of Social Networking sites is what turns your everyday casual user into someone others choose to follow. I personally use Twitter, LinkedIN (LinkedIn Groups), TwitPic, Skout, and Facebook - however I keep somewhat of a low profile and have learned to change my vernacular in given situations, but I still have people sending me invites on LinkedIN and Twitter that completely amaze me.

    You have a great cause, you are focused, now implement the 4Ps of Marketing! You have the Place, you don't need a Price, I have never seen you really Promote your blog, and you have the Product. I'll go ahead and mention your blog on Twitter (And use TinyURL.com or other URL shorteners - I also recommend downloading www.tweetdeck.com).

    For instance, why not create a hyperlink to a place where one can purchase the documentary you speak of in your previous post? You can even set up a PayPal link and let them buy it through YOUR blog. The possibilities are truly endless. Obviously I think you have a good thing here or I wouldn't have spent the last 30 minutes typing this out :)

    twitter.com/sg10001000

    ReplyDelete