Saturday

I Am Because We Are


A very dear (and very smart) friend recently recommended that I watch I Am Because We Are”, the documentary produced and written by Madonna about HIV/AIDS and the crippling effects that the epidemic has had on Malawi.  I have to admit I had heard a lot about this film, but I was hesitant to watch it because I didn’t know whether I would be able to withstand an hour and a half of Madonna’s semi-British accent.  Luckily, however, narration was kept to a minimum and it was easy to see why this film has been so well received. The documentary does more than simply highlight the effects of poverty and the unrelenting spread of HIV/AIDS; it challenges the audience to actually do something to help.  The information is smart, relevant and is really well presented.  It’s a deep dive into the vicious cycle of poverty, sickness, violence, the lack of education and deep seeded traditional customs.  



 The problems that people are facing on the other side of the world are not exclusively theirs. They are ours- and we cannot continue to accept and ignore such rampant suffering.  I truly believe that it is our responsibility to help people who may not be able to help themselves, whether that means through aid and support, or simply taking the time to actually learn about what is happening around the world. 

“We are all children of the world, and we are all responsible for one another.”  
-I Am Because We Are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment